Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Books and the Bees

(oh aren't I witty)

So my first article, concerning bees, was an idea that originally came from my father. We're both bee keepers ourselves, actually, and so naturally this seemed like a great story to do. Interviewing a complete stranger wasn't too bad, I thought. It was enjoyable, and she was very nice. She seemed happy to help, it's actually surprising how easily you can get people to give you their time (at least in this case), it just goes to show "Ask and ye shall receive". Strangely enough, the interview I didn't even conduct in person was more stressful, because for a while I thought I had given him the wrong phone number (we ended up doing it via email anyway).

My second article, a book review for Wool, stems a lot from simply the idea of having a book review. I chose this book specifically because of it's unique publishing history (it's an indie ebook that has just dominated the charts, and already has movie rights acquired by Fox) and I thought the book was pretty amazing. He uses a good level of detail, which I thought was refreshing. To be honest, the first book is really more like a novella, but it's still a great read, and you can buy the first 5 books in the series for $6 total, the first one for $1, so it's worth the money. For those of your curious it's a post-apocalyptic book, set in an underground silo, the air outside is toxic, keeping the inhabitants inside.

As for working on a deadline, I think I'm pretty good at managing my time, something I try to do well for school, with studying at a timely pace and all. My typing this so late is actually a result of me working on the bee article some at the dorm. You do have to be on top of it though, and I imagine it can get stressful at times.

(Just for the record, the "oh arne't I witty" comment was sarcastic, don't want to sound pretentious, it can be hard to tell sarcasm over the internet. Maybe I'm just being paranoid though, I'm somewhat paranoid in general.)

No comments:

Post a Comment