Friday, June 15, 2012

I leave tomorrow :(

I am so sad that I'm leaving UGA tomorrow morning. I've had so much fun here and I've met some crazy, eccentric, and ultimately awesome people! :)

I came here to seriously improve and better my writing and I feel like I have. I felt like I learned how to make a strong argument, how to better interview people, many aspects of AP Style, and also new ways of changing up your typical critical review.

I hope to take new ways of writing back to my school's publication. I also hope to instill a form of leadership on our yearbook staff.

I'm gonna miss all the lovely people I met :(

And here are some AMAZING books that changed the way I view the world:
 
Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. A swirling epic that explores both the immigrant and the hermaphroditic experience.
Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl. A witty debut about a brainy girl who moves to an exclusive private school in North Carolina and becomes involved with a group of very rich, very mysterious clique and their film studies teacher, Hannah Schneider.
The Namesake, by Jhumpa Lahiri. A novel that explores generational gaps between Indian-Americans -- absolutely heartbreaking.
The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood. A sci-fi/feminist novel that takes place many years in the future; it imagines that America became a misogynistic, fundamentalist state governed by the Old Testament, and is from the POV of a woman who has become a handmaid -- a woman who gives birth for women who are sterile -- for a prominent family. It explores her political and sexual awakening. Fascinating and haunting.
Slouching Towards Bethlehem, by Joan Didion. This collection of essays originally published in 1968 investigates American life and the disintegration of morals. A bit hard to get into, but very redeeming.
The short stories of Flannery O'Connor (especially "Good Country People" or "A Good Man is Hard to Find").


:)

Keep it real, guyz! I'll miss y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment