Monday, June 11, 2012

Nathan Blansett -- Intro, I guess!

Hello, world! My name is Nathan Blansett. I am an upcoming sophomore at Monroe Area High School in Monroe, Georgia, a sleepy rural town about half an hour west of the unique city of Athens. I was an assistant editor for our newspaper; however, due to budget cuts, our newspaper has ceased publication. Therefore, I have taken the position of copy-editor for our yearbook.

I absolutely love journalism. I just love writing in general. I'm here because I want to truly hone my writing skills and develop journalistic character. I am very interested in developing a journalistic style that still retains my own personal flair. That's my favorite aspect of writing, whether it is fiction or non-fiction -- each writer has their own style. Hemingway and Didion write short, choppy sentences, while Joyce Carol Oates writes whole sonatas on characters that don't even matter. As you might suspect, I want to attend the University of Georgia and double-major in journalism (with a focus in magazine writing) and English with a focus in creative writing. I also want to receive my Master's in creative writing.

Coming from a rural town with a relatively small population, I have big city dreams and consider myself ambitious and somewhat competitive. I value humor, tolerance, and kindness. I enjoy a good book, an excellent steak dinner, and well-written television. I hope that I can make a lasting impression at the Georgia Journalism Academy that will be a benevolent force for my future career (and overall life). :)

I'm so excited to be here! It's such a great opportunity to develop yourself not only as a writer but as an individual. Plus, I've met several people who are pretty awesome.

Keep it real, guys.

--Nathan

4 comments:

  1. Nathan! I am so sorry that your newspaper was cut. How disappointing! What crummy times we live in. I love the way you write and look forward to seeing your work! I think being proficient in creative writing is a huge advantage when writing features. So glad you are here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary Jessica! And yes -- crummy times indeed. I guess that's just reality, though. I am excited for you to read my work, also. I am eager for a critique to see what I can improve and deepen. And I agree on the creative writing part: I've always wanted to be somewhat of a writer, but I always thought it was just a bit too idealistic. My sister, however, is an upcoming senior at Agnes Scott College and she is double majoring in psychology and creative writing. I went to a reading she did for her non-fiction workshop and I was completely enamored. I was like, "Wait, you can MAJOR in this?!" So yes, I am so excited! Thanks for being an awesome teacher -- I already love your sense of humor and wit. Plus you're a trapeze artist! That's so neat! It reminds me of Philippe Petit, the tightrope walker who walked between the two World Trade Center towers in 1974. Is that trapeze?

      WOW I talk a lot. I apologize. But thanks again! I look forward to working with you.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're an awesome writer. Can't wait to work with you!

    ReplyDelete